jueves, 8 de marzo de 2007

What's in a word?

What's in a word? Just about everything it seems. I so want to spend time with the kids at the children's home or the teen girls here on campus. Today, I decided to play basketball with one of the girls here. I wanted to reach out to her and get to know her. As I was trying to make a sentence or say something, she would respond in a bewildered look upon her face. She would say something back and after a while I realized she was correcting my Spanish. I really appreciated her help but it was confusing as I was trying to understand her sentence as a response. God is teaching me to be ok with silence. For those of you who know me well are probably thinking God is a bit late on teaching me this lesson. I really want to talk to these kids. Mess around,
tease,
get deep,
show them I care.
I know I don't have it down just yet. Actually I'm wondering if I can survive this lesson. But I'm beginning to see what it is you can hear in this silence. That there maybe is more said in silence than in words. It's in the silence that I find myself praying for ways to communicate that are beyond my ability. I pray that I learn Spanish quickly but I hope I don't forget the language of silence and how that can speak volumes.

2 comentarios:

lbre969903 dijo...

I will say a prayer for you. I kind of know what you are going thru. I am getting ready to take sign language classes so I can communicate with the deaf community and I am concerned myself. Miss You - Leslie

gwendolyn dijo...

I will rimind you cathy that you said to me one time that Eddie says more through his silense than most with words. Do you remember??? you being there tells those children you care . I will pray for you dear friend .
From one talker to another silence is GOLDEN xoxoxo gwen