miércoles, 28 de noviembre de 2007

Greg, Is no easy

"Greg, is no easy!" This was the consistent refrain that I heard from Edgar on a recent visit to Casa Hogar Manantial de Amor. Earlier today, I traveled to this home to spend some time with the kids and the encargadas (care givers). As I am B2B's new captain for this area of ministry, I am beginning to make a concentrated effort to better know these kids, their caregivers and all of their needs so we can better come alongside them.
I first traveled to the boys home and saw how the improvements that the Anderson Hills (my childhood church) group had made in early November. All that they had done was doing well and holding strong. But as I spoke with Samuel, one of the caregivers, he let me know of a couple lights that weren't working and of two window spaces where there is no glass at all. They've done their best to cover the openings, but with temperatures dipping into the low 50's at night, you can only imagine how chilly it must be in their rooms.
After my visit there, I traveled a short distance to visit the girls home and found Edgar, the director there. As I spoke with him. I asked him if there was anything the home needed or if his family needed as well. As he answered, over and over he would say, "Greg, is no easy." I want to make it clear that he was in no way complaining and never gave the impression that he thought the ministry to which he has been called should be easy. But I know from experience in various ministries, there are just times when you are compelled to say, "Man, this is just not easy" whether it is paying unexpected medical bills, trying to provide for his family, or just wanting to provide something simple and nice for his family (like coffee for his wife). He mentioned as well that on the rare occasion when he has a 'day off' the funds are not there to be able to do anything, even having money for gas to just get away. Sometimes, being in ministry means these simple things make life 'not easy'. So having experienced many of these at various times, my heart really exploded with empathy for Edgar and Connie and their two little girls, Damaris and Hannah.
On top of this, there are the constant needs of trying to run a children's home. Edgar and Connie listed need after need that they could use help in meeting. From needing new cabinets in the kitchen (the old ones have many rotted boards that the doors are just falling off to the floor), clothes, lice shampoo, dishes, feminine products for 17 teen age girls, etc. You can imagine the ongoing cost of trying to meet the needs of running this home. We at B2B do help as much as we are able, (almost half of their monthly needs are met by B2B), but while he is grateful for the money and resources we send, he said with a snap of his fingers, "it is gone like that!" I can only imagine!
Edgar is also a part time pastor at his church, doing various things, but it is a voluntary role that he fills. He is also discouraged that his senior pastor doesn't share his heart for missions and the church gives no assistance to meet the needs of the home. He has begun searching the papers looking for a job he can take on to help their situation. But that would mean working all day and then coming home to work in the casa hogar and you can imagine how draining and emptying that would be.
So while I am looking here for more ways to better meet their needs, I am also seeking your help. Mostly, I am asking that you pray for Edgar and his family and the kids of the casa hogar. They have great faith (as I was leaving, Edgar said, "As it says on American money- 'In God we trust'- that is what I do!"). Pray for God's resources to come to bare on this home in regular ways to help meet their regular needs for food, utility bills, clothes, toiletries, etc. Pray for opportunities for Edgar to be able to take his wife and kids out and enjoy some time away and the means to do so. Pray for an encouraged spirit for Edgar and Connie as well.
I am also asking you to consider spreading news of these needs to people you know (if you feel led to do so). Maybe a Sunday school class or a small group Bible study or a church's mission committee or whomever might be interested in coming alongside this home and being a regular partner to meet their needs. If this is of interest to you and you want more information about what partnering with this home might look like you can contact me at huffer@back2backministries.org.
I want to say that we will not use this blog space often to ask for financial assistance. I was just so compelled by Edgar and his position (having been there for many years myself) that I feel led to share this with other caring people.


Thank you in advance for your earnest prayers on behalf of a brother in need.

Greg

No hay comentarios: