jueves, 11 de junio de 2009

You know you live in a community when.......


you get pulled over by a transito (a traffic police officer) only to have your director call to see if you are okay as you pull away. Here's the story..... the other day I was driving home from a birthday party at Milagros' school for the deaf. I was driving in an area that had a speed limit of 60 KPH and I was going 65. The transito had a speed monitor and was going to give me a ticket. I'm not sure exactly what that transfers to miles per hour but something like 2+ over the speed limit. I expected to get a ticket but he wanted to take my driver's license. That I didn't want and wasn't sure if he could do that or not, so I called my lawyer. After just telling Paula who I was, that I was pulled over by a transito and that I had a question for her, the line cut out. I quickly tried to call back but it was busy. I then found her cell number and reached her and she helped me by talking to the transito. I heard a lot of the conversation however not all and in the end she somehow got me out of the ticket. As I drove off, Todd called me.
"Cathy, How are you?" he asked.
"Uhhh, Ok I guess." I responded. "Why?"
"I got a call from Gabo in el Limon, he said Perla's office called and you were pulled over by a transito. Is there anything you need help with?

I had to chuckle, Gabo was at a children's home about 4-5 hours from Monterrey. Apparently when our call got cut off, she didn't have my number so she called Gabo, Gabo called Todd and told him that I had been pulled over and needed help.
Once I got over the embarrassment of others knowing that I was pulled over, I realized how blessed I am that I have such a network and that others care enough to check up on me. I know that God has allowed this to be true in the body of Christ. We are called to look outside of ourselves and to care for one another. Part of the shelter that God provides for us is through those around us. I was faced with my own actions. Am I aware of the call God has on my life to ask others how they are doing? Am I looking out for others as Christ would have me to do?
I'm not always happy to share my embarrassing moments with my community around me however I am grateful for the care and love that our community provides for one another.

1 comentario:

the ewings dijo...

I'm sooooo happy for your community and love the way God has brought shelter and protection through the friends he has placed around you!!! And through your wonderful lawyer.
Love you and miss you and wish you a great week with 1/2 my family!!