domingo, 28 de junio de 2009

An Echo in the hallway......




Yesterday I went to the Rio. I was on a mission to help some kids pay their costs that they need for graduation on Tuesday. Two were graduating from sixth grade and one from secondaria which is 9th grade. The day went longer than planned but I was most moved when we went to the secondaria school (like our jr. high). When we got out of the car, I asked if it was open as there were classrooms but no one was there. The two women I was with assured me that there was one room open on the other end. But I never saw a student. I knew of atleast two boys who were suppose to be going to this school. One with learning disabilities and couldn't read. As I asked about him they assured me that he came but they had no way to help him as they didn't have a special teacher for him. We then asked about graduation and we were told that there wasn't any cost because the students didn't want to have a ceremony. They couldn't afford uniforms or just didn't have an interest. As I stood there I wondered what kind of education one gets in a school with so few students. I wondered what the effort was from teachers and students alike. I wondered if education was valued. They didn't see it worth celebrating. My heart is heavy for this community that lacks dreams and ambition. Here are a few photos from the Rio. I often just see the people that I miss the surrounding they live in day in and day out. Will you pray with me that they will accept Jesus in their lives and have dreams of what He has created them to be.

No hay comentarios: