miércoles, 3 de diciembre de 2008

Learning how to give...

Recently I've been thinking of giving. In particular my giving, however I am not alone in this learning curve, I think. I used to think all giving was good. I mean how could it be bad?
I couldn't have imagine a bad thing from giving until one day I was with a group who had brought coats for the kids at the Rio. As one lady taught about a Bible story the others were slowly pulling coats out and putting them on the children. The back of the car was soon empty and many kids still were without coats. As I asked about the other kids, they explained to me that they didn't have enough for everyone and that they were only giving to those children without a coat on this very cold day. What they didn't know is that one mom held the coat of her daughter as she was refusing to wear her coat. While two other boys were wearing all the clothes they owned looking warming and without need. What resulted was mothers who were angry with Meme after we left causing strife in her community.
Another time I chose to treat one of our teens to an outing. I trusted the teen to ask her parent who didn't. When we returned from a trip to Dairy Queen I found out that she had been in trouble and should not have been allowed to go out. I soon learned to ask the teen parents first before the teen.
Recently I found myself planning a day for my husband. I was very excited about where we were going and what we were eating. Until God stopped me and asked me if I was doing this for him or me. When I evaluated my day I realized I was choosing my day not one for him. Praise God I had enough time to think through what he liked and changed the day. He had a great time and praise God for pointing those things out.
I'm convinced that giving isn't bad, sometimes the motives are. Sometimes I chose to give so that I would feel good........so that I will look good........so that people will like me better. Sometimes the best gifts are what costs me the most ( I don't mean money), things like time, risking being open and honest with others, allowing others the limelight, choosing to participate in activites others enjoy even though its not my favorite. Gosh, I think I could go on and on. These are just a few things I've learned about giving. Help me Lord to be open to your perspective on giving not my own.

No hay comentarios: