lunes, 30 de junio de 2008

Reunions.....

I used to love to "people watch" at airports. There is something in seeing people reunite that moves my heart. Well, on Sunday I saw a reunion of two friends that moved me to tears. Before I explain what I saw I need to give you a little history first. Last year the second trip that I lead to the Rio, was with a group called Calumet. Frankly I don't remember a ton about the day, except for when it was time to head out, one of the group members could not be found. After a short bit I was told that it was a leader named Chris and that he had accepted a ride from Meme's husband Lalo in his horse and cart. When I asked how long was a trip through the neighborhood, she answered,"oh, I don't know 20-30 minutes". I freaked knowing we were running tight on our schedule as it was and that this could set us behind. Thankfully God knew what I could handle and before I got too concerned, Lalo and Chris were soon seen coming down the dirt road seemingly laughing at their conversation and having a great time. This God encounter that Chris and Lalo had instantly turned into a special friendship. Chris found out that Lalo was a night watchman on our property and stayed up until 2 in the morning talking with Meme and Lalo. He visited again within the year and enjoyed talking with them about what God was doing in their lives.
Ok, now fast forward to Sunday. Our group got to the Rio however Meme was not there. This is unusual and with all the trips out to Meme's that I've made (some 50 or so) I've never known her not to be waiting there for us. When the group got out of the bus, I went on ahead and shared with the group about the Rio, Meme's ministry and the soup kitchen and so on. I heard something and turned around to see her approaching the comodore. That is when it happened. Meme walked up to the group and saw Chris. She burst into tears, almost ran to him and hugged him tight. That moment just lingered. Sweet, honest, love and care. A brief time of sharing had blossomed into a special relationship. I could see Meme's hurt but she was not alone. In a strange way that I just can't explain, hugging Chris that day was painful and healing in a single moment. She was sharing the loss of her husband with someone who knew him well. All because he said "sure" to an invitation to take a ride in the cart. There seems like there should be more to say, but I'm speechless.......

1 comentario:

the ewings dijo...

It's all about taking the time that Matters!!! - Chris