miércoles, 11 de abril de 2007

How much is enough and how much is too much....

I have felt caught in two worlds since we have moved here. The have and the have nots. I am giving by nature and am gifted in giving. Say that three times fast. You see, quite frankly I would rather give and go without when I see a need. It if fulfilling and brings me joy. I realize not everyone feels this way and I'm ok with that. It has put me in a quandery though when I spend time with others with very little and appreciate any and everything God gives to them, then turn around and drop $70.oo on shoes for our three boys. Ben has graduated to Men's shoes and gone are the days when we can get him shoes for less than $20.00. Plus shoes or other clothing are a little more expense here in Monterrey. Sorry, see I am already justifying spending money on what seems like necessities, when I can't imagine how long the children at the Rio have gone without shoes that fit nevertheless new. I have begun to think that I might make a budget line for unexpected givings.
The culture here is so very different than in the US. Some things seem backwards- how long it takes to make anything concrete, traffic, just to name a few. And yet relationships are key here. I love that. The end to the means may be a long way off but the process is where it is. The process is relationships. I am slowly learning that when I go to someone when I want something, I'm not buttering someone up if I ask them how they are and how their family is before laying my request before them. I'm not use to asking "How are you?" and really wait for the answer. What does that say about how I've lived life so far. Like I've been saying let me say this quickly so I can get to what is really important. .....me.... I've wondered if I've offended anyone yet and they have just been too nice to tell me.
These are the things I've been pondering for a while. Let me know what you think?

No hay comentarios: