jueves, 25 de noviembre de 2010

What do we do with our sadness.......

I've been struggling with something recently and I don't think I'm alone. What do I do with my sadness? We live in a culture that has the saying " Don't worry Be Happy". My first response when someone is sad is feel bad for them. I call it compassion instead of pity but truly its not super comfortable and I want to get rid of it. Not really sure if its for their sake or for mine. So when I'm sad, I really struggle. I have thoughts of embarrassment not wanting to share it for many reasons really. I used to think that sadness and heaven forbid depression didn't have a place in a Christians life. Cause truly with Christ how could you be sad? Yeah, that is false. We live in a fallen world. We suffer from the results of sin. We all have times of sadness. It is a part of life. I hope I'm not sounding like a Debbie Downer. So what do we do with it?
Most of my life, I have been hiding from it. Let it build up than as it comes flooding out feel embarrassed like someone caught me with my pants down. Exposing something I was sure no one was to see. Here in Mexico I've experienced a different approach to handling sadness. I'm not sure if its cultural, or these people's personality, or their faith. But a few of my friends here handle there sadness in an honest and open way. They are vulnerable and open asking for prayer. Sometimes in a Bible Study, sometimes popping up at my house just for prayer and sharing sadness. As we pray I see a change in their countenance. I see the faith of knowing prayer is the remedy for their sadness. After we pray, sometime I do see relief from their pain and other times I just see hope amidst their pain.
Recently I have been hurting, grieving over the health of my mom. Last tuesday was particularly difficult as it was my Mother's birthday. I had a full day of ministry ahead of me and quite frankly I didn't even want to get out of bed. As I struggled with my sadness and the embarking embarrassment of sharing it with my co-workers, I knew I had to do something less I find myself bawling at what seemed like nothing. After much prayer, God urged me to go to my morning meeting and ask the Lord for prayer. Through more tears and embarrassment to not even want to look them in the eyes, I asked for prayer. I want to say that the Lord lifted my hurt and I am free from the pain, but I would be lying. Instead the Lord gifted my with the peace of the Lord Jesus Christ. The peace that allowed me to continue walking in the path that the Lord would have for me that day. The path to accomplish what He wanted in his strength. My three co workers surrounded me and lifted me up that morning and Christ peace ruled in my heart.
" Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." Phil 4 :6

No hay comentarios: