jueves, 25 de noviembre de 2010

Ever wonder if prayer really works?

Would you believe me if I told you I saw it first hand. When I was little my mom always read this book to me called "Wacky Wednesday". It was about just what the title said. This girl wakes up on Wednesday and everything is wierd. A shoe on her wall, etc. Well this day seemed to be forming a lot like a Wacky Wednesday except that it was Tuesday. First of all Tuesday was to be a big day to take a group to the Rio. We had planned a fun thanksgiving activity, make blankets with the women, play with kids. It had the makings of a great day. Until, I woke up extremely depressed. I had cried maybe three times in front of my boys that morning. Something I try not to do, especially because one of mine is especially sensitive and worries all day about me if I do. As I mustard enough gumption to go to our morning meeting and ask for prayer. I come to find out two other staff are feeling under the weather. Hope especially feeling nauseous and weak. I was too whimpy to ask the question if she thought she should stay home. Since I was without a husband for the week (he was in Ohio), I had decided to drive separately so that I could drive home early to take care of my boys. We decided that if Hope didn't feel better or in fact felt worse that she would come home with me. We had decided to take the group 1/2 hour early and as that time came, the bus to take us had yet to arrive. Feeling like all of this wasn't a coincidence Hope had asked a group that was praying for the ministry that morning to pray especially for us.
As we pulled out, I was still asking the Lord to not just get us through the day (even though that was how I was feeling) but that He would give us strength for whatever He'd have us do. As I drove alone I was talking with God and these seemed "normal". Then we hit traffic and we slowed down. I remember thinking great, now we are going to be late. As we clear the traffic, I see a car come up in the fast left lane next to the bus who is in the middle lane and I am behind the bus. This car speeds by and almost rams into the bus. Right before it does, the driver over corrects and hits the guardrail and sends it to the middle lane passing behind the bus and in front of me. By the time I pass the car it is off the right side of the road and miraculously doesn't end up hitting anyone. I prayed for the driver as it was a little more than a fender bender but by no means did anyone seemed hurt. We continue on. I remember praising God instantly. Not only could that have been bad (mainly for the other car, driver and any passengers), it would have delayed our day considerably waiting on the police and insurance to come investigate the accident. Answer to prayer number one-that He protects us all from harm or satan's tactics.
So we get to the Rio and Meme shares and it touches more than one person in the group. Answer number 2- God's work by done. We go to invite the people and one in our group is bit by a dog. Mindy, another B2B staff, is able to walk her back to the soup kitchen and attend to her. She is also a trained first responder. Answer 3
As Antonio shares in Phil God reveals to a group member through a conversation that there is a woman from the Rio who lost her home in a fire three days before. The group lays hands on her and prays for God's comfort and provision for her. Moments later the group makes a blanket with the women there and Silvia takes home a blanket. Answer4 Hope, Meme, Antonio also share prayer requests and the group prays.
I am convinced Satan had his plan to keep Hope home sick, me home sad, Antonio home with his sick daughter, Mindy thinking she is too new to do anything. He wanted to take the group member down with a dog bite, and delay us with a car accident. But God stepped in the way. With somethings he didn't allow them to happen. With other things He gave us strength to endure and walk through them. Our God is bigger. He wants us to pray. " The prayer of a righteous man is powerful." I believe it do you.

2 comentarios:

Cassie Hallam dijo...

That was very encouraging! Thanks for sharing! You are in my prayers!

The Cooper Family dijo...

Thanks for posting this!! How many times have I gone into a day feeling bad/sick/sad.... and God always shows up! PTL!! Stay encouraged friends, God is using you in great ways!!