miércoles, 10 de febrero de 2010

A little lunch, a little time, a big reward...


As I have been spending more and more time at the boys home slowly and consistently tackling the various projects that I've been working on, I find that my relationships with the boys are coming along quite nicely.

But recently, I experienced a great boost. I decided that I would begin taking a few of the boys out to lunch from time to time. As some of the boys are preparing to enter our Hope program I decided to start with a few of the older boys first and invited Angel, Geraldo and Gregorio. I had already developed good relationships with Angel and Geraldo, both of whom are extroverts. Gregorio however, while nice and cordial, always seemed more reserved when I came around.

So we grabbed some burgers at Carl's Junior and just hung out for a while before taking them to school. We talked a little but only as much as my Spanish would allow.

Well, the next day when I arrived (and every day since) I have found a pleasant surprise. Gregorio's eyes light up when he sees me. He stops what he is doing and comes to greet me. It has been very fun to see.

Gregorio has come from a troubled past and it makes me think just how troubled it is if a simple lunch out with a friendly face can so drastically affect him. I think of the countless number of people who come down here on missions trips each year and of the impact that they have as well. Though in their own eyes it may seem small and insignificant, the dividends are huge and can be eternal. Yep, a little time can often give big rewards...

No hay comentarios: