miércoles, 27 de junio de 2007

"I've never been swimming before..."

This was the words spoken by a 13 year old boy, Gabito. He was one of about 50 kids and 15 moms that we took swimming to a local public pool from the Cadereyta. You could easily tell the Americans from the Mexicans. You see, the kids and moms we brought went swimming in their clothes while the American group changed into their swimsuits. That was the only difference I saw as I glanced over the crowd of people who were splashing, swimming, smiling, gigling. One girl that we have been praying with each week, Nuri, seemed brighter that day. She has had a hard life and now finds herself 15 and pregnant with twins. Her usually downcast faced showed a twinkle in her eyes. Everyone was refreshed. After a few hours in the pool, the group put on a VBS and dinner was served. Hotdogs and watermelon was the only thing some of them had eaten all day.
Praise God for placing the idea of a different kind of outreach when we brainstormed at our retreat last May. God is faithful. Pray for more special times to relate and share Jesus' love with these women and children.

4 comentarios:

Rich Cary dijo...

I can't wait to share this with my kids. They are going swimming today, an activity I am certain they take for granted. Thanks again for all the encouraging updates! Praise God for the ministry he is doing in Mexico through your faithful service!
Rich and family

cath dijo...

Thanks for your response. Its good to know someone is reading these. Although I think I'd still write them. Do you think your family might come down sometime? We'd love to have you.

Rich Cary dijo...

Please don't stop writing...I check out your posts at least once a week, and feel like we are part of the ministry as a result! We will definitely be coming down, probably next summer. Catie will be almost six by then...will that be old enough for her to come with us on a family mission trip? We can't wait to see you guys again. God bless!

the ewings dijo...

We read allllllll the time!!!! I don't always have the moment to write but I need to more. What a great idea a swimming outing. I'm praying for the teen preg with twins. Did you find out if they could use cloth diapers there?