martes, 8 de julio de 2008

Who knew......ok....God did.......

Last Sat. I was looking forward to a little down time in between some pretty busy weeks. Like a lot of times, God had different plans. On Friday, Meme interrupted our intern training to let us know that one young guy had died in an electrical accident. It turned out to be a son of a women that we met with the group from Calumet. Marianna and her husband had just moved to the Rio and were building a house. Her sons were helping on the Friday and it had been raining all day. As he was working he decided to take his sopping shirt off and hang it somewhere. What he didn't realize is the line he picked was a "hot" wire. He died almost immediately. Marianna has polio and her husband and her moved from clear across town as it is difficult to find work there. This accident was tragic and left them with little to no money to pay for a burial or funeral.
Saturday morning I found myself with Meme to visit the family. They were sitting at the clinic where they were waiting to somehow and somewhere get the money it took for them to get his body released so that they could bury him. They needed 800 pesos (80 dollars) but knew not where they would find it. Without food, they were prepared to wait all day. Jose was married and has two children 2 years old and 3 months old. As we entered we saw Marianna. Her face was in shock. Her husband pacing, seemingly not knowing what do to with himself. As we approached she began to cry ( am I sure something she had already done a lot of). I kissed her check which is the custom here, told her I was sorry and had been praying for her. she nodded and thanked me. I moved aside for Meme to give her condolences. Meme embraced this woman and said that she too was sorry and could feel her pain (remember Meme's husband just died about 1 month ago) and that God wanted her to know that He loved her and would be her strength. This woman fell apart on Meme. Marianna was able to release all the she had inside of her. I knelt at this woman's knees and we prayed for her, as we then did for her husband and for her daughter in law. I watched as the Lord brought 2 Cor. 1:3 to life. He was allowing Meme to use the comfort He had given her to comfort this family in their time of need. That sat. we had decided because of the rain we would postpone the soup kitchen until Sunday as the group was to serve tostados. The money Meme had for the soup kitchen and some that the Lord had me stuff in my pocket as I walked out the door was enough to pay for the release of his body. I will never forget Meme placing that money in her hand and saying "This money is from the Lord, He wants you to take your boy home now" I thank God for the different plans for me that day. Who knew? well......God did.

1 comentario:

the ewings dijo...

wOW, HOW NEAT THAT God directed you that day! Hard stuff. How are you? Haven't been able to get you in awhile. - Chris