miércoles, 3 de octubre de 2007

Mom, I'm bored and two of my friends are leaving next week.......

This was how the idea came for a great day I won't soon forget. Our oldest son, Ben, was bringing to my attention that for a week, two of his good friends would be gone and he wouldn't have much to do. I quickly put my thinking gears into motion as I could see him feeling more sad by the moment. We came up with different ideas to be with others people and keep busy. One was to visit the nearest casa hogar as a family. After talking with Enrice, a worker there, we decided Sunday afternoon we'd visit. This was an especially good time because this was visiting day. Most children would have parents or relatives come visit them or take them out for the afternoon. Casa Hogar Douglas has close to 100 children and we were told all but 20 or so would be gone. However we could come and play with these 20 children who had no visitors. As we drove the 1 mile to the home, our boys were expressing their nervousness and asking how long we had to stay. As you can tell with the photos, it didn't take long before the coloring books, sidewalk chalk, uno cards and other activities allowed us to make instant friends. We even were able to give out football cards that friends from Kentucky gave us to give out. (Thanks Carys!!!!!) We were hoping to get a photo with their cards. However many boys ran to their rooms to put them in a safe place so that no one else would take them. Afterwards, all of our boys asked when we'd be coming back. Ben said he learned that when he is sad and lonely he thinks God wants him to think of others. How cool is that. Sunday was one of my favorite days here. We look forward to returning again soon.



2 comentarios:

Unknown dijo...

What a great way to use your "bored" time. It never takes long to see that other people are needier than we are at times and that sharing ourselves with others fills us up! This sounds like a blast! I enjoy reading your blogs and seeing these pics!
Bless you!

Kyle G. dijo...

Great story! In fact I'm using this morning to help illustrate "love." I picked out four specific instances in your story - can you find them?