viernes, 2 de septiembre de 2011

a small miracle,,,,, is there such a thing?


Normally I would never post a picture of my mom like this, but I will always remember this day my mom fell and need stitches. Greg and I were home in Ohio for about 2 weeks in August. It never seems long enough to spend time with family and friends, especially when now my mom is in a nursing home. About 1/2 through the week at my in-laws I get a call from my sister that my mom fell as she tried to stand from her wheelchair hitting a spot above her eye causing her to get stitches and xrays just to make sure everything else was ok. I went quickly to meet my dad and sister at the hospital wondering if my mom would be in a worried state of mind or just out of it with the interruption in her routine. Since she was diagnosed with Parkinson's and Alzheimer's routine has been very important to her. As I entered the room, I was shocked to see my mom smiling away and surprised to see me. She immediately asked about Greg, my husband, and our three boys. She continued the questions with and how long will you stay this time. I was amazed not only with the clarity of her thinking, but the ability to recall my family and that we had traveled from Mexico. For the next four to five hours we visited with my mom as if she was a new. The mom I remembered, witty, compassionate, social and pleasant. She greeted nurses and lab techs and doctors as if they had entered into her personal living room. Physically she was a site to behold as you see in this picture taken a few days later, but mentally she was as clear as she has been for a long while. When we all returned from the hospital to the nursing home the head nurse as us if we had noticed a difference in Mom's mental capacity. She too had seen the clarity and calmness in mom that morning as they waited for transportation to the hospital. My Dad and I stayed with my mom for another hour or so until I had to leave. At the end of our visit, you could see my mom slipping back into her hallucinations and confusion. I had the chance to see my mom on several other occasions while we were home however she was never as clear as that day. I praise God for the miracle He gave me of that special day with my mom. It seemed like such a small thing that one could easily overlook. But for me it was a big miracle that only God orchestrates. Praise God for such a special gift to me.

No hay comentarios: