jueves, 27 de diciembre de 2007

Over the top.....

I've been wrestling with reverse culture shock. Ok, I think I am. Anyway, I have realized while being home for 10 days for Christmas how much I was used to and can jump back into having excess at my fingertips. Food is the biggie. Any kinds, around any corner. Eating as much as I want or can. I am reminded of my friends who don't have enough to stay healthy. I so struggle with what I need and what I want or should have. Somehow life in the US is easier. I don't have to be reminded of the way other people live and yet would I really be happy. I am in deep emotions and by no means am I saying living in the states is bad. For me its seems easier to live the simple life. Any thoughts on my ramblings? I'd love to hear from you.

2 comentarios:

Unknown dijo...

Dear sweet Cathy (I assume it was you who wrote this),
I have struggled with this many times upon my return from Mexico to the US. There was always the guilt that followed then too. On one of my trips however, the Lord spoke to my heart because I kept going on and on about how "not fair" it all was (is). He gently reminded me that if it were NOT for those situations/conditions/people/children etc., then there would not be those of us who are changed/transformed in our lives. How would we be able to make a difference, change our lives, their lives,our motives, our hearts, our desires without being able to see and acknowlege all sides. You realize how it has affected you and your life, but without doing what you are doing, you maybe could have never understood it as much as you have this holiday. You are truly being transformed and you are blessing so many people because of it. Your recognition of how easy it is to fall back into that lifestyle can be a reminder to you of how easy it is for those kids in Mx to fall back into their old lifestyles without the Holy Spirit in their lives helping them to recognize it and then be able to move past it.
You are a blessing my friend.
Love,
Joanne

cath dijo...

Thank you for your encouragement and input. You know, I think I realize that the bottom line is you can't always change the environment you live in, however I can change or control my behavior and actions within that environment. In a nutshell, I don't like the lack of self control I have in the states. True that the Lord is teaching me a ton here in Mexico. Joanne, thanks for reminded me how this line of thinking can help me in working with these kids. I miss you a lot.